Sunday, December 12, 2004

The gene pool could use some chlorine

I am posting this on behalf of all the people working in the service industry during the Hallmark Holiday know as "Christmas"

I was in London Drugs, getting some film, and wanting to get a digital photo printed on the laser copier. As I got to the counter, I noticed that there were two loud, obnoxious women getting some pictures scanned. They were being really rude and they were berating the lady that was helping them, complaining loudly that she "obviously had no clue what whe was doing and that Walmart was a much better place to shop." (BTW, the lady that was helping them was a senior employee that has helped me many times and is very professional)

The young lady that was also working behind the counter, trying to keep up with the rest of the customers smiled at me as she tryed to finish off what she was doing from the last customer. I told her not to hurry, as I was the only one in line. As I told her that I wanted a photo printed, and paid for the film, the Terrible Twosome were still ranting away at the end of the counter, and I made some quiet jokes about how rude some people can be. She smiled, then the smile faded as she realized that the machine to make my print was being used by the Evil Ones. I told her no problem, I was in no hurry.

Well, ten minutes later, half dozen customers and I am still standing there. I was being patient, not in any rush, although it was obvious that the rude women weren't happy and weren't about to be finished anytime soon. So, the young lady helping me asked if we could just do a quick print, and be out of there hair. They made some complaints, but let us in.

This is when it got bad.

The printer hadn't been used for a while, and needed to warm up. A two minute job turned into three. Literally, only three minutes. That when the first woman started to mouth off at the staff and me that they didn't have any right to cut them off, and that I should wait my turn, etc. The second one walked over to her husband and loud enough for everyone to hear, proclaimed her self importance, the staffs incompetance, and a bunch of other nonsense.

Now, I hadn't said a word yet, trying to be patient. The poor girl that was helping me was looking very upset, as the first woman was still on a tirade about the way she was being treated.

And, that's when it happened. The last time was at school in 1992.

I lost my temper.

It was a terrible feeling, the shaking, the rage, but I felt I was just. These poor people are just trying to do a job, and don't get paid nearly enough to put up with assclowns like these two. So, I did what they wanted to do, I let them have it. I tore a strip off them, and then another. It didn't make a huge difference in there inflated self worth, but it sure knocked them down a notch or two. The young lady helping me gave me a very thankful smile, I managed a very tight lipped one as the rage was surpressed.

I got my picture, thanked the staff warmly, and as I was leaving I passed the husband. He had stayed out of the fray, and as I made eye contact, I got a little smile from him. I think that I managed to do what he has been wanting to do for a long time.

It took me some time to calm down, which was made easier by the smiling faces of the kids that were at the Christmas party that work threw. ( I was taking pictures of the kids with Santa)

So, while you are shopping this season, be patient with the people working there. Smile and say thank-you. And mean it. It will make the staff's nasty thankless job that much easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home