Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Us and Them

Another day off. Yes I do work! Honest!

Actually, worked a bit of overtime last night, and the next few weeks will be a bit crazy. I will be doing my own shifts, and then covering some of Colin's shifts while he goes back to Vancouver to move some of his stuff here and pick up his daughter and dog. So, Gus and I will be a bit extra busy keeping everything running at the base. Which is fine with me, makes the days go faster.

Had a bit of a scare the other night, I was almost robbed right in the "secure" courtyard of the hotel. This place is a bit weird, there is no one here from the staff from 8PM until 8AM everyday. So these punk-ass kids keep coming in here, and using the pool at night. Recently, they have been getting braver, and coming in the mid day at lunch when the staff closes the place for two hours and using the pool with the guests here.

There was a few guys a week or so ago, walking around the pool stealing room keys, I wonder if these guys are the same guys?

So, anyway, I was coming home late at night, around 2:30AM, feeling good that I didn't get jumped in the parking lot, when I walked into the courtyard and there were three youths sitting waiting for people to come in. I tried to hurry past them, wished them "bonjour" when they said it to me, but then they started demanding money. I just kept on going, and made it to my room with no more hassles.

The next morning, I told the staff about it, and they told me that the manager was talking with the police. I went and told them what happened, and then had a another talk with the manager after the police left. She explained that since they are under 18, the law protects them and the police cannot do anything about it. I suggested that maybe they look into security being here all night as a deterrent. I guess that there is security here, but they only come by a few times in the night. Her answers didn't make me feel much better, so I made sure that I told all the guys from work about it.

Next night, all the guys are at work late doing an inspection with me, and Adam decides to head home early cause he has to be back in the morning. When he gets home, the three punks are waiting again, and demand money from him as well! So, he calls me at work, and warns me. The rest of the guys now are looking to kick the shit out of these guys, teach them a lesson. We decide that wouldn't be a good idea unless they start something. So with a bit of a game plan, we head home, but it was late enough that they had already left.

Adam, this morning, tracks down the manager and demands that they get security here at night, or we all are leaving (that would be 5 rooms empty, at a big loss to them). We now have security here for a few weeks to try and keep the kids away.

I kind of realized that the crime in this area was bad, but I am not used to having people accost me in my home. I can now appreciate how nice we have it back home, and hope that we never get to be this bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home