Thursday, April 19, 2007

New York Minute

Well, it is the second night staying at Kathleen's place in Washington Heights on Manhattan Island. Andy and I were supposed to be back at his place tonight, but due to an unfortunate vehicle problem, we aren't. I will get into that later.

I came into town with Andy yesterday since he was teaching at the Midtown campus, and I didn't have to take the train in. The plan was, (as I thought) that we would be heading back to his place afterwards; but I was wrong. Turns out we ended up staying at Andy's girlfriends place because he has to go up to Long Island for ban practice, I I had to torture my leg some more. Of course, I am ahead of myself again.

Once I got into town, I headed down the subway to Times Square to take some photos. As usual, it was crazy busy with school groups, tourists, and the ever present taxi cabs. I started shooting photos here, and some more photos there, when I spotted him. The Naked Cowboy. He is this guy who plays his country music in Times Square in cowboy boots, a hat and tighty-whities! So, I took a few shots of him, and laughed at some of the women who were getting their photos taken with him. After I wandered a bit, I managed an almost postcard shot of him that I think the girls at home will like.

After Times Square, I jumped on the subway again headed south to Battery Park. I hadn't gone down that far last time I was here, so I took some time to hobble around enjoying the park. Lady Liberty is within sight of the park, as well as Ellesmere Island, tempting me to jump on a boat and go exploring. Maybe next week.

Shortly, I had enough of Battery Park (it isn't that big) and wandered over to the edge of the Financial District to take a few wide angle photos of the sky scrapers. It is a very interesting effect to have three or four giant buildings leaning out over you. I know it is an illusion from the lens, but it is still trippy.

Another subway ride and I was back up at Columbus Circle and the entrance to Central Park. I slowly hobbled around the park a bit, laughing at kids riding their skateboards down a kids slide, landing on their butts on the cement. Glad it wasn't me. Central Park is a busy place around 5PM, full of joggers, and others getting in a bit of nice weather after the big storm on the weekend.

Afterwards, I met with Andy, who informs me that I won't be able to come to band practice because he needs to pick up two others and there isn't room in his truck for all of us. So, he drops me off at 56th and 5th Ave, both of us thinking that the Rockefeller Center is close by. We were wrong and seven blocks of hobbling later...I get to the Rock, and go up to the Top of the Rock, an amazing observation deck looking out over the city without the wait of the Empire State Building. And besides, this way I can take photos of the Empire State building...=)

Knowing that Andy wouldn't be back for a long time, I spent about 2.5 hours sitting on top of the city gazing down in wonder and taking photos. There was a slight problem though, seems that they weren't happy with my little clamp/tripod/thingy to keep my camera steady during night shots. They also wouldn't allow full sized tripods for "safety reasons". I think more that they just are scared of lawsuits. So, I became rather creative with my camera holding. I hope they turn out. It is such a lovely feeling looking down on all those people and buildings, etc., but all good things come to an end. So, off to find food.

By this time it was almost ten at night, and I still hadn't had dinner. Usually you can do okay at diners in the city, but I found a not so good one. I am still alive, so it wasn't that terrible, but I won't go back.

Finally, Andy showed up, but his truck was being bad. After flooding it out last week in the storm, he now had a parking brake stuck on. The back right brake was really jammed up, cause the wheel to stop randomly, and when we got to Kathleen's, it was smoking really good. So, we called AAA and got it towed. (that is the reason we are at Kathleen's again tonight, the truck is still in the shop although something this simple should have been fixed already)

So, today was another day in the city.

We went for a late breakfast, or lunch as some people call it. Andy went off to teach again, and Kathleen and I jumped on the subway and headed south again. This time over to Brooklyn so that we could hobble across the Brooklyn Bridge. Sunny day, fresh air and lots of room on my camera's flashcard. After a nice walk on the bridge, Kathleen left to get home to show an empty room in search of a new room mate, and I slowly walked down to the waterfront to take more photos. I managed some really nice ones of the bridge and across the water at Brooklyn itself. The area that I was exploring was an old Pier for unloading the boats, but is now museums, and shops. Kind of a nice out of the way, almost not for tourists but is, little space.

Which brings me back to Columbus Circle for a while waiting for Andy, them off to meet Kathleen for food, and finally back here for the night. Hopefully Andy will get his truck back tomorrow, and then we can go back to his place so that we can finally change our clothes. =)

BTW, since my laptop is at Andy's, and all my photos are still in my camera, I haven't been able to get them on Flickr yet. And the way things are going, I probably won't get them online for a few days. Hopefully soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home