Saturday, May 20, 2006

Floating down through the clouds

Today was the first day of my working visit at YVR.

Started with a very early morning with a 0630AM departure to Calgary. Nothing too difficult, a minor problem with a flight attendant, but Sammy did an awesome job of solving that one.

Then we went over to a different gate and prepped the next departure. Pretty standard, wake the airplane up, fire up the APU, and then a quick walk through to make sure the night guys didn't miss anything. Everything was ready to go, and the plane departed a bit early.

The next plane wasn't due in for a few hours, so we grabbed our partner working on a different gate and went for coffee and breakfast. It is fascinating to be walking around in all the "secret" hallways and corridors that are through a terminal building.

Next plane arrived on time, and we had four hours to do some Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR, the "black box" that they look for after a crash) testing. While doing the testing, we found a problem with one of the observer seat audio controls. So, a bit of troubleshooting, and a few phone calls to Maintenance Control, and the problem is solved.

After that, the plane loaded and left. Sam and I ran over to the last plane that was sitting in the parking lot to update a bit of software, then the day was over.

12 hours goes by fast!


I am staying at my parents place while I am working at YVR, and as a pleasant treat, my Grandfather is visiting too. So, I have seen most of my extended family. My uncle has been by twice, Mom and Dad, my youngest brother and my
Dad's Mom (Oma). Too bad that I have to be working such long days while they are here. And Grandpa is leaving tomorrow, so I won't get to see him tomorrow night.

Time is fleeting, but I wish it would slow down just a bit for a little while...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home