Sunday, August 20, 2006

Rest your aching limbs for a little bit

This is killing me.

We haven't had a fire in almost a week, and the planes are sitting collecting dust and we are getting bored waiting to put some fires out. I am hoping with the wind changing direction back to the Mistral, we will get some warmer weather, less wet and some fires to go and put out.

Meanwhile, I have booked a car to go driving around the French and Italian country side with. I was planning on renting a BMW Z4 but after taxes, exchange, mileage, and fuel costs it would be about $2000CDN for three days.

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

So, I have settle for a Mini Cooper at about a 1/4 the cost. I could have gotten a little Renault or Citroen for even less, but I wanted something a little more sexy then the other two. It should still handle well, and unlike the Beemer, it has a manual transmission, which all cars should have.

The plan is to head east towards the Cote d'Azur, where I can find Cannes, Monaco, and the rest of the French Riviera; then cross the border into Italy, head towards Turin (where the Olympics where not to long ago) and then head north up to Switzerland. In Switzerland, I want to explore the Alps a bit, then head towards Geneva. After that, I will head home through the French Alps back to Marseille and Aix.

I don't have any definite hard in stone plans, but I do have a map and will be getting a Lonely Planet book for Italy! That's good enough, right?

soon there after, I will be heading up to Denmark to hang out with Meggie and Hans for their wedding celebration. I expect that it will be a bit of a wild one, if the stories that I have heard about the Danes and partying are true. And, if I have time, I will stop and see Claus for a bit, maybe grab a coffee with him.

I still don't know when I will be coming home, fire season is still going and Adam wants me here till it is done. I have a feeling that I will be here until at least the end of September then maybe a bit into October. After that, I have my three weeks planned to travel a bit of Europe, and then come home. The interesting thing that I have been told by someone at work is that I must use up the hours in my overtime bank that are more than the Union at work allows, so this means that I may be at home relaxing for a bit longer than I had originally thought. At the rate that I am gaining hours in the O/T bank, I might not be back to work until Christmas!

So, there, you are up to date with my life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, sounds like fun. I would have gone for the Citroen -- you don't see them around much over here.... but the Mini Cooper should be fun to boot around in too.

The Danes are definately the big partiers -- they were the ones that shut down the wedding over here as well. They kept going until 2 or 3 in the morning.

You haven't missed a whole lot around here ... work is still progressing towards selling the house. We took down the cupboards last weekend, so we're at the painting stage... still aiming for Mid Sept to sell

Later

4:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home