Friday, September 08, 2006

Over the mountains across the sea

Geez I feel like a real jet setter. Running off across Europe for a weekend party, what a life!

I am sitting in Amsterdam airport, waiting for my connecting flight (maybe I should invest in a private jet to get me around, less airport lounge time), and watching the other travelers wander by. There is a moving sidewalk here, with a very annoying voice asking people to “mind your step” as every person wanders by. I wouldn’t want to work right here everyday, I would be committed in a week!

It is rather sunny in Amsterdam, I would love to be able to go out and explore, but being that I have already been checked in, I really don’t want to leave the secure area. If I wanted to do some shopping for expensive goodies, this would be the place. Jewelry, tourist trinkets, perfumes and some very nice Scotches. I found a Scotch that I thought about getting, but at 264 Euros, I decided not to. I really can’t afford to drink that well.

So, instead I am enjoying some real landjager and these nifty cheese stick thingies. I used to get the landjager from my Oma and Opa when they came to visit at Christmas as a kid, but finding good landjager back home is tough. So, I will enjoy it when I can.

(Some guy outside on the ramp just dropped his two way radio on the ground…it exploded into little tiny pieces.)

I have been flying on KLM, the Royal Dutch Airline and other than the little Fokker 70 being a bit old and probably in need of a C-check, the flight was good and smooth, and the flight attendants were very nice. The Dutch make some good looking women! I am flying a 737 with KLM for the rest of the trip to Denmark, so I am hoping the service is just as good.

I would also like to comment about the differences between the two airports that I have seen today, Marseille-Provence, and Amsterdam. I will have to add Copenhagen in there later. Marseille is dirty, dark and not at all a pleasant place to hang out. Even in the newer Air France lounge where I was, it wasn’t that appealing to wait. And being that I am working there, I see the outside as being the same or worse. The ramp is untidy, the ramp rats come across as not really caring too much for their jobs. They look un-kempt, and have an air of uncaring. Amsterdam, the ramp is tidy, there are areas of green grass in the middle of the ramp to offset the tons of concrete that is inevitable at an airport.

(Mmmm, cute Dutch girl…sorry, was distracted)

It is true that Amsterdam is a main hub into Europe, much like Heathrow or Frankfurt, and Marseille is a bit of a back water airport, but I think that it is the people that make the difference. The Dutch seem to care about appearances a lot more than the French in Marseille do. Makes for a much more comfortable experience.

Well, I have killed about 20 minutes, an hour and a half to go…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home