Friday, January 07, 2005

The waiting is the hardest part

So, I went out to pick up my friend Nicole from YVR last night. The biggest problem, no one, family included, knew when she was coming home. No one had flight info, or what airport she was coming from or anything. All I knew was, Thursday, 6 PM. So, I got to the terminal, International Arrivals, and asked information if they knew. They had no idea either, since there were no flights coming from Malaysia direct. So, I waited. And waited, and waited. I talked to her sister a couple of times, but she hadn`t heard anything. Also, her sister had no car, so couldn`t get out to the airport, her Dad said she should take a cab and that I should go home and not to worry about her, and her Grandmother was scared to drive in the snow, even though she is five minutes from the airport and the roads were clear. But, I am too good a friend to bail on someone that quickly. She said she would be arriving, and I wasn`t going to make her take a cab.

After three hours of waiting, her sister called saying that Nicole was at the baggage carousel, and very upset because no one was there to meet her. Now, being that she was coming from Kuala Lumpur, an international destination, I told Laura that Nicole would still be in the secure area, and that she wouldn`t see me until she cleared customs. She agreed, and I got ready to meet Nicole. Ten minutes later, the phone again. Nicole was at domestic arrivals!! I`m thinking, "How the hell did she get over there? She's coming from Asia? And even if she stopped in Hawaii, she still needed to clear customs?" So, I rushed over to the poor girl as fast as I could. The first words out of my mouth were "What are you doing in Domestic?" She said "I don't know" through a hail of tears as I gave her a big hug. It seems that she was flying on Malaysian Airlines, and they flew her home through Frankfort, with a stop in Calgary!!! (why fly only one-third of the way around the Earth, when you can fly two-thirds of the way??) So, she had already seen customs in Calgary, and ended up in the domestic side of the terminal.

In the end, I found her, gave her more hugs than I have ever given anyone before (she was REALLY upset, plus really tired, worn out, and just needed some love), and got her safe and sound to the place she was staying at until she gets her apartment again. What an ordeal!

In the end, everthing worked out. Nicole is home and safe. All is good.

Welcome home babe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home