Wednesday, February 09, 2005

An inspiration is what you are to me

I really should be doing laundry right now. I am running dangerously low on undies. But, that can wait.

Have you ever felt an overwhelming sense of excitement and pride for the achievements of a close friend? Excitement to the point of cheering out loud? Pride to the point of telling everyone about it? How about for someone that you have never met, and probably never will? This week I was privileged enough to have that happen to me on both accounts.

First, I am proud to say, is my friend Kira. Kira finished her Canadian Air Regulations exam, and was awarded, after years of hard work in an industry that has few women, an Aircraft Maintenance Engineers license, M1 & M2 categories. This means that she has been recognized by Transport Canada as being able to sign as airworthy, large and small aircraft, in both fixed and rotary wing (helicopters) categories. This is an amazing accomplishment, specially being that she has chosen helicopters as her field of interest. Not many woman become aircraft mechanics, and even less care to work in the bush on helicopters! But, Kira is one tough cookie. She has kicked serious butt, and I am very, very proud of her work. Congratulations Sunshine! I knew you could do it!

As for the excitement for someone that I have never met, it is someone that many people know. As a matter of fact, he is the reason that I Blog. I have been following his blog for a couple of years, watching vicariously through his Blog as he struggled with his life as an actor, and as an aspiring writer. His name is Wil Wheaton, and he is just like you and me. A lovely wife, and two step-kids, trying to keep food on the table, just like you and me. He had more or less given up on acting, putting his efforts towards writing (and doing a great job I might add), but still trying out for different roles, always to get turned down. But not this week. Not only did the producers like him, they gave him a better role!! He will be playing a major character on CSI, one of Hollywood's better shows. Read about it here.

It's funny, news of both Kira and Wil got me excited, and made me let out a Woohoo!! (I got strange looks when I did that in class after finding out about Kira's license), yet although I know and love one of these people, I still felt almost as excited for the person that I have never met. I guess that happiness in other peoples doing well still has it's place in the world, no matter who they are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Watch 'n Wait said...

Both of your friends deserve congrats for their major accomplishments. :)) Nothing finer than seeing friends accomplish something really important to them, cause you know how much effort they've had to put into succeeding.

1:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home