Saturday, February 05, 2005

On the turning away

So, first the big news, then the almost as big news.

We found out today that our hanger will be part of the CAW (Canadian Auto Workers) Union. I am not sure if I like this or not, as I have never been part of a union, and I can't see many things changing at work. There will be benefits, like having my seniority recognized finally, and making the management actually do their jobs for once. But, there will be not so good things. I am not looking forward to the lessor trades possibly earning as much as me. (they don't have the education, the work load, nor the resposiblity, yet they want the same wage as me.) Unions are known for trying to make everyone equal. I don't believe this. Just like I think that a doctor deserves to get paid more than me because of the education involved, the knowledge needed, and the responsiblity they have, while a grocery store clerk should get paid less than me, because they don't require an education, and someone probably won't die if they don't do their job properly.

Anyway, we will see how this plays out over the next year or so.

Now, for the not as big news. Well, it's not really big news at all, at least not for 24 years.

Astronomers have discovered what will probably be a "Once-in-a-millenium-event". An asteroid that is about 320 meters (1000ft) wide will pass by the Earth close enough to be seen without the aid of binoculars or telescope. Now, before you go freaking out that the Earth is doomed, they have already determined that the asteroid will not hit us, and if it did it would not be a "planet killer", but would probably knock out small town at the most. Needless to say, we have nothing to worry about, other than a cloudy sky blocking the view. And it's 24 years away, we have plenty of time to get ready!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home