Friday, June 30, 2006

Float on a river forever

Half way through my work week, and other than being really busy keeping the planes flying, not much to add.

Got a bit lost on the way to work yesterday, tried a route to the highway that Colin showed me, but I missed an exit and was heading in the wrong direction! The road that I was one was heading towards downtown Marseille, the opposite way than to the airport. I was lucky, and found some road signs that directed me through half a dozen different highways and got me there only a few minutes late.

Work was fun, had a couple of interesting things happen. While we were working on one of the planes, we had a plane come through, reporting to the tower that they didn't have the green lights that tell them that they have their landing gear down. Of course, half the airport new of this so we all gathered to watch it do a fly-by. It turned out, the gear was down, but the nose gear steering wasn't straight. So, the pilot made a very good landing, holding the nose up for a long time until he could slam it down and straighten it up. That is why he gets paid the big bucks!

I also got to run an aircraft for the first time ever. It was pretty simple, I have had so much training that it seemed like I have been doing it for years. Actually, we ran both planes, but Stephan ran the first one.

And I found a hedgehog. Cute little bugger, all rolled up into a ball. I moved him so that he wouldn't get hurt, and he scurried off eventually.

Just another day on the ramp. Two more to go, then four days off. I think that I will try running into Marseille to play tourist, see if Mary, Gus' girlfriend would like to come along. It is nice to have company, and she speaks French, so ordering lunch would be easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home