Monday, July 03, 2006

Settle in your seat and dim the lights

Ahhh, what a stressful day…not!

Day two of my four day weekend, and it is another day of suffering in the sun. Colin and I got up reasonably early and walked into old Aix en Provence for lunch and some sight seeing. I am guessing that Aix (pronounce “X”) is probably many hundreds of years old and the architecture proves it. Narrow winding streets, buildings all joined together, little squares with cafés everywhere, and shops as far as the eye can see. There are some lovely fountains as well, and every square has at least one. I would think that at one time they were the source of drinking water for the people in the town, but now they are just lovely works of art.

We stopped for lunch in a small sidewalk café in a small square near the Cathedrale St-Sauveur Cloitre and had what I would like to think is a “French” lunch, where you sit and listen to the annoying street musicians in a small square surrounded by smokers and have annoying kids pester you. Actually, it was a wonderfully relaxing lunch, and the coffee was superb!

Although I took my camera, it was secondary to just looking today. I think in the future, I will have to go and spend a few hours just taking photos. I could easily fill my 1 gig memory card in a few hours!

I think that I might get a chance to try that tomorrow, as Gus, Mary and I will be going into Marseille for the day. Mary and I were going to go today, but Gus wanted to go and I would rather have him with us, to make it more fun. We are thinking of going to see Chateau D’if, and Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde if we have time. If not, I am sure that there will be lots to see there. None of have been before, so it will be a bit of an adventure.

Well, the rest of today was spent by the pool, till I started to get a bit red, then time to come indoors and do some chores. Not sure what I have planned for this evening, but for Wednesday evening, I might join Colin to go and see the Berlin Philharmonic Symphony do a free show in a local park. This is mostly so that Colin can brag to his daughters that he has seen them, and they haven’t (they are both very accomplished musicians, both playing piano and violin), but I am sure that it will be an enjoyable evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home