Monday, January 01, 2007

Things you say and the things you do

First and foremost, Happy New Year all!

The holidays have been busy as to be expected, running off to be with my brothers over Christmas, and then working out at YVR for the rest of the week. Followed up by First Night in Surrey watching Spirit of the West with Andy, it has been a good time.

Christmas Eve was with my brothers and my Oma, eating too much, having a few drinks, having a few laughs. It was fun, and since we don't get together as often as we should, it is a much cherished event. Christmas day was again at Allen's, but with his girlfriends family. Once again, too much food and more good times.

Boxing day was work for me, out at YVR covering some shifts for another guy. Two 12 hour days, then two 12 hour nights. The days weren't too bad, typical running around saying hi to planes, sending them on their ways. The nights, well they were long a busy. The first night shift was me spending a cold night out on an engine changing a fuel line. It was below freezing that night, so there were problems of cold fingers, cold me and of course exhaustion. But I managed to get it done a bit sooner than expected, and when the morning crew got there, they did the runs and the line had no leaks, and the engine performed correctly. Yeah me!

The second night shift was a bit easier, not such big jobs to do, but still a bunch of finicky things to worry about. Some poor passenger on one of the planes had gotten ill as well, and chucked all over the lav, the galley area and then first class (on the carpet yet!). Ummm, yuck! The groomers weren't too happy about that. Then the rest of the night was fixing cabin snags, and a much deserved break where we sat in the cockpit munching on leftovers from the galley. I found a box of home made shortbread, which I ate too much of, but I did manage to leave some for the other guys and even the other shift. The highlight of that night was when I was grabbing a coffee from the terminal, I ran into my old friend and ex-vice president of my company. He was on his way to Vegas for New Years with the family, and was boarding one of the planes that I was doing a turn around on. He was joking that he hoped the plane was good with Me and Amex working on it, and that he did not want to see us up in the cabin. As it was, the Captain of the plane was late departing, and we were sitting in the van joking that maybe Mike was going to see us up in the cabin. I thought that it would have been funny to just go up there, walk into the cabin and just look at Mike and smile. I am sure that he would get a chuckle out of that.

So, along comes New Years Eve. My good buddy Andy heard that Spirit of the West was playing at Surrey's First Night celebration, which is impressive since he lives in New York, and he suggested that we go see it. Since I really couldn't think of a better thing to do, I agreed. I got there about 10PM, and watched an up and coming band playing. They were pretty good, played to a younger audience, but I still enjoyed them. Wish I knew their name. Then, while waiting for SOTW to play, I ran into Vince, the drummer from SOTW. I like it when the band feels comfortable enough to wander around the crowd before a show. I didn't bother him, just smiled and went on my way in search of mini donuts.

It has been a long time since I last saw SOTW play, and to think that I had seen every show over a ten year period but now keep missing them. It was a fun show, directed more towards the family end of things, but the guys played well, even if Geoff screwed up the lyrics to The Crawl, and Vince nearly lost it laughing when trying to sing That's Amore to the young daughter of one of his friends. ONe of the fun parts for me was Andy and I singing to all of the songs, and having a pretty young lady standing in front of us keep looking back at us and smiling because she was enjoying singing coming from both sides.

The show finished with fireworks, really good ones too. Andy and I wanted to get to Tim Hortons, but somewhere along the way I lost him, and the Timmy's was closed anyway. So, home I came, tired but happy.

And now, time to prepare for another new year. Hello 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home