Saturday, December 01, 2007

Jet Lag Blues

Well, I made it. Here I am in sunny southern France, where the air is full of woodsmoke and my allergies are going crazy.

After a rather uneventful flight to Amsterdam on an Airbus A330 (Airbus seats are the most uncomfortable in the industry...just my opinion), then a bumpy uncomfortably flight to Marseilles on a Fokker 70, I landed and met with Chris who took me too my new home in Aix-en-Provence.

I have already been to work for nearly a 10 hour day, doing a large inspection on one of the planes, and will be going in again today (Saturday) for a quick Line Check on Tanker 74 with Pedro. It is looking like we will be more or less busy for the next week or so, with an engine change starting Monday, and flights continuing all over the place. It also looks like, although there is a schedule, I am going to be on call for the next ten months. That is okay though, since the more hours I get, the more cash I take home, and that all adds up to a nice bit for a down payment on a place when I get home. =)

I have also scored a really nice room at the hotel here in Aix. It was the room that my buddy Claus had when he was here two summer ago, and although I can see the pool and patio from the deck, the bedroom is around the corner so I won't have to listen to the noise. There is the highway that I can hear, but I sleep through that without a problem. Another bonus is that there is now Internet in the rooms! No more lugging the laptop down to the hotel lobby to suffer with bad wireless. This has made me happy.

I am still waiting for my bike, tools and trunk of stuff to arrive, but I don't expect that for a week or so. I have the van this weekend, and although I think today will be a slow day (with a bit of work thrown in), I am going to try and get out and see some things tomorrow.

I still don't know what I have planned for Christmas, I haven't talked to the boss yet about it. Kristen up in Wales has invited me there if I want, but I am not sure yet. I might go to Geneva to see Leanne and Alex and the kids, but Jerome, one of the guys that I work with, suggested Barcelona for Christmas. That would be cool, and if we can maybe convince Gus and Mary to come along, we could have a lot of fun!

So, I am off to a good start. Ten more months to go, and maybe if we can extend things, it might turn into 22 months. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home