Thursday, April 03, 2008

Beneath a clear blue sky

What a crazy busy month March was!

It was pre-fire season maintenance month here in France, with both of our planes going in for inspections, repairs and a little TLC. With such a small crew as ours, it made for very long hours of work and very tired eyes.

Most of the big stuff is done now, we just have a propeller to swap out with an overhauled one tomorrow, and a bit of sheet metal work then they are ready to fight fires!

So I haven't been up to much other than working seventy hour weeks, eating and trying to get some sleep now and then. Hoping that the next three weeks are a bit slower so that I can get ready for my trip back home. I am so looking forward to being back home, seeing family and friends and eating mass amounts of SUSHI! Yummy=)

This weekend I am hoping to get out and do something other than sitting in my apartment trying to stay awake. Martin and Jerome are taking their motorcycles to Monaco to try out some of the twisty mountain roads along the way. I am a little jealous that I can't go with them, but not having my license and a bike is a good excuse.

I might run off to the mountain to go hiking, get some exercise or something. Or I might head off to Cassis for a day trip, or Nimes or Pont du Gard or something. I have a vehicle and I plan on taking advantage of it!

My French is coming along nicely too. I had another (my fifth) lesson today, and Mary is quite excited that I am doing well. I have started to make up simple sentences on my own to use on the pilots and Gus. It is a very tough language to learn, where the grammar doesn't make sense when translated, and getting the vocal sounds right is also very complex. But I am pulling memories from grade five back out of the dark recesses of my cranium and succeeding in impressing those teaching me! Mary even said that she would get online with me through Skype while she is in Montreal for the next two weeks to help me practise. She rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home