Wednesday, December 26, 2007

With friends surrounded

The past few years, Christmas has been a little bit blah. After all, my brothers and myself are all adults now, only one of us has any kids and she isn't even a year old yet. The parents have moved a ways away from most of us and the commute to see them, or have them come see us in a bit treacherous in the winter. Add in the fact that I am now in France, instead of Canada, and there really isn't much to look forward too.

This year however, has been different. Although I am in France, I had an ace up my sleeve, a way to get back that feeling of family and kids and the wonders of Christmas.

I have friends with kids who allowed me to share time with them over the holidays.

Leanne is a good Canadian girl, who met up with a super French guy named Alex, and moved to a little town on the border of Switzerland called St.Julien-en-Genévois and they have had two sweet children. Not many of us from Canada come and visit them here, so when I can, I pop in to visit. It is about 4-5 hours on the motorway, and a bit less on the TGV, so I would put it as being "in the neighbourhood".

This year, being that I am in France, and I managed to get the week off work since none of the planes are flying and the rest of the guys are going away. I rented a nice Mercedes C-Class (sweet ride!) and drove up for a few days of visiting.

During my stay, we took a trip into Annecy for some shopping, Alex Margaux and I did a quick trip into Geneva, and we ate way too much good food! Christmas Eve was quiet, except for overly tired, but hyper children who didn't want to go to bed. Poor Adrien, just as he was being tucked in, started to worry that he hadn't been good enough this past year and Santa wouldn't make a stop with things for him. It took a few minutes with Dad to assure him that we would chat with the man in red and convince him that Adrien wasn't too bad a little boy.

Come Christmas morning, Margaux was up about 5:30AM, but was told to wait until 7:30AM before she could wake Adrien. At 7:30AM precisely, not only was Adrien woken, but everyone else was too! For the next few hours, through groggy sleep filled eyes, the adults watched and laughed as the kids were allowed to open a present or two at a time. These kids got trucks, Lego, toy animals, new clothes, and other assorted things from Grandparents, Santa, Mom and Dad and me.

Soon enough, Alex's parents and sister arrived for dinner. We sat down to a fantastic meal, prepared by Leanne, of; fois gras, escargot, home made cauliflower soup, turkey with potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce and dressing, six kinds of cheese with three types of bread and finally a traditional chocolate Busche (cake) that was super rich and yummy!

After dinner, we sat and talked for a bit, then Alex's parents left to avoid driving in the dark and fog. Caroline stayed for a bit and we tried a few games of Jenga to our amusement. After Caroline left, we played with the kids for a bit, watched The Princess Bride and then we all crawled off to our beds sleepily.

All in all, it was one of the best Christmas' that I have had in recent years. Yes it wasn't my family, but in a way I feel like they are family to me. I got to laugh and play with the kids, spend time with Alex and Leanne and I even learnt a bit of French! I also think that having someone from home come and visit makes Leanne a bit happier too.

Now I am back in Aix, I still have my car for a few more days (screwed up the dates, so I have it too Saturday now) and plan on doing a bit of exploring throughout Provence. Not sure what I want to see yet, but I am sure that there is something out there to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home