Thursday, December 13, 2007

Smoke on the water

I am a little nervous.

You see, I have been invited out tonight for Sushi. In France.

I don't worry about food in France normally, because the French know how to cook better than most in the world, and food in restaurants is second to none.

But Sushi isn't cooked, and I am not sure how fresh it is being that I am in a place where some of the normal fish used in Sushi isn't found.

Actually, what has me worried the most is the price. After enjoying the relatively cheap Sushi in Vancouver from the past few years, I am scared to think about how pricey dinner will be tonight. Gus says that he dropped 115 Euros there one night! I guess that the expense comes from the fact that it is still a novelty here, and only those with money tend to go out of Sushi in this area. So I guess that I will be one of the posh ones tonight.

Other than that, things are going well. I have been working my butt off, but was rewarded today with a nice bottle of champagne for Christmas from one of our partners out at the airport. I think that will go well later this month...

One thing that has been bothering me a bit is the smoke. Not only the cigarettes that people are smoking everywhere (shops, cafes, restaurants, airport...well, everywhere actually), but more the smoke from chimney's from all of the older houses that use a fireplace to heat. It has been cold around here, -3C this morning and I guess that it is nice to have a roaring fire going to stay warm. But everyone else in the region has the same idea, and there is a thick haze as far as I can see from my deck from the smoke. I sure makes the lungs hurt.

Well, need to get ready for going out tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home