Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Long Way Round

Christmas is now officially over here in Aix, the town is taking down all of the lights. I just need to say "doh!" here since I never got around to taking photos of them. That is just my laziness. It was very pretty, and I find it sad that they don't leave them up all winter while the leaves are gone from the trees.

New Years was quiet, I stayed home and got happy with a bottle of champagne. Most of the guys were out of town; Martin was here but he had his friend Fleming and Fleming's kids visiting, so I didn't have any plans. At the last minute, just as I was getting settled into chatting with friends online and playing WoW, they showed up wanting to go into town. By this time, I was happy just to sit here and play so I stayed home. I think that next year if I am here, I am going to try and get to Paris to party under the Eiffel Tower for New Years.

We are all back to work again, slowly ramping up to being busy again. We have to change all the propellers and send them one at a time up to England for overhaul. We get one spare propeller, assemble it, swap it with one on a plane, take the swapped one, disassemble it, send it to England for overhaul, get it back, swap the overhauled one for the loaner, then repeat for the other three props. This should last over a month or more, depending on how fast they ship and overhaul the props. It will be nice to get a bit of overtime too.

One of the guys, Jerome, has this DVD that is a documentary of Ewan McGreggor and Charlie Boorman riding BMW motorcycles around the world, that he is sharing with all of us to watch. This has gotten the guys all excited about doing a road trip around Spain on their bikes, and me wanting badly to get my bike license. Getting the license might not happen for a bit, but if I come home in the spring, I might try and get one done if I have time. If I don't get one done, I might follow the guys as a support team, carrying extra supplies for them in a rented car. At least that way I can be with them and I would have air conditioning. =) If you are interested in the rides that Ewan and Charlie do (they recently road from Scotland down to Cape Town, South Africa), check out their website.

http://www.longwayround.com/html/lwr_dvm.html (or click the title of this article)

Even if you are not a motorcycle nut, it is an amazing journey where you get to see some amazing sights and you get to learn about things that we just don't know about. The documentary is only 10 hours long, but they had over 800 hours of tape (wow!) that they had to go through. I would love to see some of the other footage that never made it to the show. It is pretty powerful stuff.

(BTW, I am now starting my fourth year with this blog! I find that amazing!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home