Thursday, March 24, 2005

Bask in the shadow of yesterdays triumph

Another evening at home.

I took the night off tonight; there wasn't a plane to work on. I took half of last night off to, as we were pretty much done. It's nice to come into work, hand the supervisor a piece of paper, then run off to enjoy a lovely sunny, warm afternoon with a few friends at the local Starbucks.

We have been having a tough time delivering this last plane, the customer kept finding bullshit snags everywhere, things that were not real problems. Mostly cosmetic in nature. He even made up a few, which after investigation, it was determined that nothing was wrong. So, why was this happening? My opinion is, that the rep was trying to keep it here for a few days. Every day we are late, it cost us a lot of money. The plane was due at another facility for winglet mods, and they other place was a few days behind. So, keep it at our hanger, make a lot of cash, and then show up on time. We get screwed, and the customer gets a lot of money. The airline business is a crooked one.

But, on the good side of things, I finally got a raise. It wasn't what I should have received, but it was better than nothing. I guess this means that they expect me to work harder. I don't know if I can, I have been working harder than most guys at higher pay scales for years. I think the reasoning works that the more you get paid, the less you have to work. At least some of the managers I see work to that criteria. (Not all, mind you. Some work their butts off.)

So, what are your plans for the Easter Long Weekend? I have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off, and will be spending at least two of those days working at Riverside Raceway in Mission, getting things ready for the up-coming season. Marc has told me that the guys that make the timing equipment have upgraded a few things, and now the racers can have receivers in their cars to get lap times, and total laps displayed to them while on the course. Sweet! I really enjoy hanging out in Timing and Scoring, watching the cars zoom by. I can't afford to actually race, but this is fun too.

Well, that's about it for now. Glad that I have had a few moments to write something down for a change. Take care all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Watch 'n Wait said...

Good for the spirit to run far, far, away from work for awhile and do something you love and that's much fun. Glad you were able to do that. And congrats on your raise!

12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home