Saturday, October 07, 2006

Above the planet on a wing and a prayer

So here I am, geeking out again at 36,000 ft (about 10,000+ meters) with high speed internet. I have about 4 hours and 15 minutes left in the flight, we are over Baffin Island, and I thought that I would see how well the internet was on this flight. Turns out, much better than the last flight with internet. This internet is FREE today!!! I have heard that Connexions is shutting down the inflight internet service, maybe the last few days will be for free?? Who knows.

Anyway, I have a little more than 4 hours to go on the flight, then I get to say hi to my little home town of Vancouver! It seems so odd to be coming home, but I am a little excited, even though I am a lot tired.

I took a sleeper train from Ringsted to Frankfurt Flughaven, but the rail car that I was supposed to be on had an electical problem, so I got bumped down to a 2nd class sleeper with two really smelly guys (stale beer, cigarettes and oh-so-wonderful B.O.). I didn't get a whole lot of sleep on the train, between the smell and the warmth of the room and the train noises, I woke up fairly often, with probably only a stretch of 45 minutes of decent sleep. Then 5 hours in the airport, waiting for my flight. Lufthansa has adopted this new style of "fast" check-in, where you go to a terminal and check in there. Doesn't make it any faster though, you still have to wait in line to check your luggage, then in line for security, then in line to get through German customs to get into the gate. It is a good thing that I had those 5 hours!!

Ad now, here I am getting a sore butt from sitting in cattle class in the back of the plane. Oooohh!! Here comes Toblerone! Goody goody!

Three hours, fifty-eight minutes to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home