Friday, October 06, 2006

Bringing sounds of yesterday

I have about 8 hours before I need to get onto a train for Frankfurt, leaving behind Meg, Hans and Scott again. It has been a fantastic week of visiting with my friends, exploring Denmark, and drinking fine beer (thanks Hans!)

I spent yesterday exploring castles, three of them actually, including the castle that was the inspiration for Hamlet. Most of the time was spent running between them on the trains, (six trains in total), but I did get to go inside Frederiksborg Slot and take a ton of photos. Frederiksborg was built by Christian the Fourth, the king that nearly bankrupted Denmark for his building projects. It burnt down and the Royal family couldn't afford to rebuild, so beer baron, Jacobsen (Carlsberg beer) helped fund the rebuilding and it became a museum. Fredensborg, the second castle I visited, is the Royal families home. It isn't open for the public this time of year, but it has beautiful gardens that are open to the public, and you can see the palace from outside. I was even there for the changing of the guards, not as grand as in London, but still cool. The third castle was Kronborg, Hamlets castle. It was never a real castle per say, it was actually an eloborate fort for taking taxes from ships passing through the narrows at that point. The Royal family never really lived there, like in Hamlet, but have stayed there and use it for special occasions. Unfortunately, I was too late to get in the doors, and it had closed for the evening by the time I got there. But I did wander outside for a bit till the light got to bad to take anymore photos.

It's raining again...

Today, as soon as this latest batch of photos is uploaded, I am off to Copenhagen again, just to go to the Carlsberg brewery. The trip is partially for the tour, but also to pick up a soccer jersey for Morgans boyfriend Mike. Then, home to visit one last time with Meg, and to pack. On a train at 19h33, and off to Frankfurt!

And, once again, if any of my friends want to pull themselves away from Molten Core and come see their long lost friend at the airport, I would really like that. If not, I guess you can wait a bit longer to see me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home